May 06, 2013

My Championships Experience - Men's Golf Edition

My Championship Experience is a diary blog written by Summit League student-athletes detailing their experiences at each of the 19 Championships.

IUPUI junior Rob van de Vin writes about his experience at the 2013 Summit League Men's Golf Championship:

We left from Indianapolis International Airport for Dallas and our direct flight got us into Dallas around 6 p.m. After arriving in Dallas, we had to pick up our vans and then we went out for dinner with the team at the Twisted Root Burger Co. They had many different hamburgers and milkshakes. For my dinner, I got a Kangaroo burger, which I never have had before, and a banana milkshake. After this, we went to the hotel and got in a good night’s rest.

We left for the golf course around 10:30 a.m., and 15 min. later, we arrived at the course - the course was in great condition and the weather was really nice at this point. We practiced for around two hours before we got onto the course and our starting hole was No. 15. It took us about five hours to complete the practice round and after the round was over, we practiced a little bit more on our short games. After we were done, we changed our clothes and got ready to go to the banquet. Like previous years, the banquet was really nice, the food was very good and the award ceremony was nice to attend. We ended up going back to the hotel and watched a movie before going to bed.

First tournament day!!  We ate breakfast together in the morning before we went to the course. We arrived at the course at 8:20 a.m. and our first starting time was 9:30 a.m., however, I did not start until 10:06 a.m. I began with my warm up around 8:50 a.m., because I couldn’t wait any longer to start playing some golf. After I was done with my warm-up, I was getting ready to go onto the course.

By now, I was a little nervous, however, I was trying to keep my nerves under control and have a good start. My first tee shot was not great, but it was still in play. A couple hours later, I finished my first round, but I can’t say I was really happy. I did not play great, but I was still in the race to have a good run in the tournament. After we finished the round, we went out for dinner at The Cheesecake Factory and we had a great dinner. After the dinner, we went back to the hotel to watch some television and relax before going to bed.

Second tournament day - We had a later starting time, however, one of the earlier times of all the men’s teams because we did not play great the first day. We got to the course early to warm up for the round. It took us about 5 1/2 hours to complete the second round and once we got out of the course, we ate lunch and went back to the hotel. Later that night, we
went out for dinner at a Mexican restaurant and went back to the Twisted Root to drink some more of those milkshakes for desert. When we finished our deserts, we went back to the hotel to get a good night’s sleep in before our final round of the tournament.

The third and final day of the 2013 Summit League Championships - After not playing that well as an individual and a team in the first two rounds, we had the early starting time. We arrived at the course early in the morning to get ready for our last round. We played the last round really fast and actually had our first decent round as a team. When we were done with the round, we ate our lunch and changed our clothes so we were ready for our flight back to Indianapolis. Later that day, we went to the airport and flew home around 8 p.m.

We didn’t play the way we would have liked, but I believe our team learned something from the experience and we will keep working on getting better. Hopefully, we will be in contention next year to win another league title. 

Don’t forget to check out the next editions of My Championship Experience as it follows the Softball and Men’s and Women's Track & Field Championships, May 9-11, and throughout the 2012-13 season for coverage at each of The Summit League Championships.

No comments:

Post a Comment